WISE NL is a non-profit organization that has been successfully operating in Newfoundland and Labrador for over 30 years because of the active involvement of dedicated member volunteers.
Acknowledging that non-profit resources are limited, WISE NL focuses on high quality, high impact, and high leverage projects and programs.
Many hands make work light so we also try to manage implementation so that the work that needs to be done can better fit the already busy schedules of our members.
WISE NL is managed by a working board of directors with assistance from committee members.
- The Board provides oversight of the organization to ensure that it meets its mission and is operated effectively and in the best interests of the stakeholders: members, clients, funders, employees, and the community at large
- As a working board, Board members are directly involved in the day‐to‐day operations of the organization
- Board members take on governance, management and, in some instances, working roles
- Five committees provide support for internal operations – Communications, Membership, Operations, Funding, Program Review and Strategic Planning,
Our Programs & Activities
- Student Summer Employment Program
- Indigenous Youth Initiatives
- Mentorship Program
- WinSETT Leadership Program (St. John’s Series)
- Speaker Series
WISE NL membership is required for all volunteer positions.
Board of Directors
- March 9, 2020 – Seeking Director of Communications
- For information on the Board of Director positions, send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Members of the Board of Directors are expected to submit written reports and attend regularly scheduled board meetings. Board meetings are typically held 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm on the second Wednesday of the month. Estimated time = 3 hours per month.
- There are no scheduled board meetings in July and August to accommodate summer vacations. The December meeting is typically a welcome to the Board and a holiday celebration.
- Board member attendance at organized events is highly encouraged
- Efforts of the Board are greatly facilitated through the help of individual volunteers working on specific tasks. These tasks are limited in nature and can easily fit in the busy schedules that our members often face. We are looking to assemble a pool of volunteers who can be called upon when assistance is needed.
- On occasion a committee member may be asked to attend a board meeting.
- Experience with the tools we use is very helpful but not required except where noted below. Training is provided.
- The tools we use are: WordPress, MailChimp, Eventbrite, PayPal, Facebook, Twitter, Google Calendar, Adobe Acrobat, and Microsoft Word/Excel/PowerPoint.
If you can’t commit to a Board or Committee role, we can always use extra hands to handle one-time tasks such as staff a registration table, stuff name tags, present a science fair award, or tend a booth for an hour or two. The actual task would depend on the activity. If ad hoc support is more your speed, please consider putting your name on the distribution list that is used when a little extra help is needed.
January 1, 2020 – None at this time.