Board Positions – 2023
Approved October 26, 2022.
In addition to the Officers, the Board consists of Directors who fall into three categories – core support, programs and uncommitted. Core support directors oversee our internal process and technical infrastructure. Program directors are responsible for our outreach, recruitment, retention and recognition offerings. Uncommitted Directors have no specific responsibilities and are asked to volunteer for designated tasks as the need arises.
- Communications (OPEN) – The Director of Communications has overall responsibility to ensure timely distribution of WISE NL-generated content that is consistent in style and adheres to WISE NL objectives and values, through traditional and social media channels.
- Membership – The Director of Membership is responsible for the recruitment, retention, and overall satisfaction of individual and corporate members.
- Outreach – The Outreach Director is responsible for K-12 awareness and outreach activities. The objective is to expand the pool of students choosing to study science and engineering. Of special focus is the Indigenous Youth Gathering that is directed toward Indigenous youth who are interested in learning more about education and career options in science or engineering. The gathering was last held in St. John’s in 2022 and the goal is to conduct future events in other locations. Other key tasks include ensuring WISE NL participation in science and technology fairs, responding to external requests and providing direction to staff.
- Leadership – The Leadership Director is responsible for professional development activities that are essential for the retention of women in SETT. Currently, WISE NL promotes professional development offerings from the national Canadian Centre for Women in Science, Engineering, Trades and Technology (WinSETT Centre).
- Mentorship (OPEN) – The Director of Mentorship is responsible for the Mentorship Program — an important retention effort directed at connecting post-secondary students with industry professionals who provide mentees with advice, support and guidance on navigating education and career(s) in science or engineering.
- Speaker Series – The Director of Speaker Series is responsible for the Speaker Series which consists of regularly scheduled and publicly offered networking events. These Sessions are designed to highlight women’s contributions to science/engineering and bring visibility to women’s perspectives on technical topics and issues of contemporary concern.
- Student Summer Employment Program – The Director of SSEP provides management oversight of our flagship outreach program, the Student Summer Employment Program, which is implemented by staff. SSEP is a major undertaking that has successfully operated since 1989, excluding the pandemic year of 2020.
- Director Emerita – Mona El-Tahan, WISE NL founding president
- Directors at-Large (OPEN)
Uncommitted Directors have no specific responsibilities, which makes this role ideal for those new to the Board or WISE NL involvement. Uncommitted Directors are expected to participate in Board meetings and training sessions, and are asked to volunteer for specific tasks as the need arises. WISE NL may not fill all open Director at-Large positions.
In order to maintain diversity of perspectives on the Board, priority for four positions is assigned to post-secondary students. All student applicants who are WISE NL members will be considered; however, preference for the undergraduate and graduate student positions is typically given to those endorsed by WISE US or WISE GSS respectively. Should any of the roles prioritized for students lack a student candidate, the role may be filled by a professional member. Student members who are elected to the WISE NL Board are subject to the same regulations and obligations as the rest of the Board.