WISE NL, in partnership with the Faculty of Engineering & Applied Science, is proud to host the popular WinSETT Centre Leadership Program. The WinSETT Centre develops and delivers professional development for up and coming leaders tailored to early and mid-career female engineering, science, trades and technology professionals and the people with whom they work. The WinSETT Centre Leadership Program consists of two parts – full day Workshops and 90 minute Skill Builders.
New for Fall 2022 – Leadership training
We have now reopened the doors to our very popular Leadership Program offering subsidized skill-builder training in collaboration with WinSETT.
This fall the sessions are conveniently grouped in three themes, and are intended to empower and help many WISENL members in early/mid SETT career reach their professional goals through enhanced competencies.
WISENL members can enjoy free attendance if currently they are a student/apprentice/unwaged; the employed members pay only 50% of the regular ($75 plus taxes and fees) cost per session.
Eligibility for subsidy requires that you are a WISE NL member.
To apply, please complete the application form here. It will be processed on a first-come-first-served basis.
Current Skill Builders Offering
Career Building Basics:
- Emotional Intelligence, September 29, 2022
- Navigating Workplace Politics, October 6, 2022
- Mentors and Sponsors, October 13, Career Building Basics 2022
These online sessions are offered on Tuesdays, 2:30-4:00 pm NLT.
Supervisor/Senior Leader Starter Pack:
- Exploring Communication Styles, October 11, 2022
- Collaborating through Generations, October 18, 2022
- Working with Challenging People, October 25, 2022
- Difficult to Effective Conversations, Nov 1, 2022
- Fundamentals of Leading Change, Nov 8, 2022
These are five online sessions, taking place on Tuesdays, 2:30-4:00 pm NLT.
Supervisor/Senior Leader Starter Pack:
- Unconscious Bias: What you need to know, November 2, 2022
- Microaggressions: A Primer, November 9, 2022
- Allyship for Everyone, November 16, 2022
- Recruiting SETT Women, November 23, 2022
- Retaining SETT Women, November 30, 2022
- Towards Respectful and Inclusive Workplaces, December 7, 2022
The Team Leader Starter Pack online sessions are running on Wednesdays, 2:30-4:00 pm NLT.
St. John’s Workshop Series
Update: Due to COVID-19 pandemic restrictions, all in person workshops are temporarily suspended. The St. John’s Workshop Series of the WinSETT Leadership Program is a set of six professional development workshops tailored primarily to early to mid-career female engineers, scientists, tradespersons and technologists in SETT. Graduate students and senior undergraduates have also benefited. The program, attended by over 1800, has been developed by professionals based on the experiences of women in SETT and grounded in research and practices that work. Of special note, the first workshop in the series is based on the lived experiences of technical women in Newfoundland and Labrador. It features the book “Becoming Leaders: A Practical Handbook for Women in Engineering, Science, and Technology” which was authored by WISE NL Fellow members F. Mary Williams and Carolyn Emerson. A best seller, “Becoming Leaders” is published by the American Society of Civil Engineers Press and the Society of Women Engineers. The second edition was released in March 2019 and all workshop participants receive a copy.
- Registration is limited to 30
- Early bird pricing
- You can register for all 6 workshops at a discounted rate and receive a certificate as having completed the full leadership series. That’s a 10% discount on the individual workshop cost.
- Individual Workshops are $199 ($99 for Students, Apprentices, or those Seeking Employment).
- Three weeks prior to workshop date prices increase by 20%.
- Employers receive a FREE full series registration for every five women they register in the full series.
Dedication to Dr. F. Mary Williams
|The “WinSETT Leadership Program – St. John’s Series” is dedicated in honour of the memory of Dr. F. Mary Williams, and to advance her commitment to encourage the career development of women in engineering and science. The St. John’s Series is made available in part through the sponsorship of the Faculty of Engineering & Applied Science at Memorial University.|
- 2020 St. John’s Series
- 2019 St. John’s Series
- 2018 St. John’s Series
- 2017 St. John’s Series
- Becoming Leaders: An Introduction to Leadership Skills and Strategies – January 24, 2015
- Mentors, Networks and Sponsors – February 28, 2015
- Navigating the Politics of the Workplace – October 4, 2014
- Effective Communications for Women in SETT – April 26, 2013
- Negotiating for Success – June 3, 2012
- Becoming Leaders: An Introduction to Leadership Skills and Strategies – October 22, 2011