Founded in 1988, WISE NL is a non-profit, incorporated, volunteer organization that works to increase the participation of women in science, technology, engineering and mathematics careers by increasing awareness that these professions are rewarding and exciting options for women. WISE NL also provides mentoring, professional development, and networking opportunities to facilitate the success of women in these fields, and advocates for equitable workplaces.
- To provide information to young students on careers in science, engineering and related fields, emphasizing the value of mathematics and science.
- To encourage women to seek higher education and achievement in science, engineering and related fields.
- To provide a support network for women in these fields.
- To inform Canadians about opportunities for and contributions by women in these fields.
- To provide a unified, representative voice for our members on issues relating to women in science, engineering and related fields.
Type of Programs
|Speaker Series||Professional conferences and workshops|
|Networking sessions||Youth group conferences and training sessions|
|Mentorship||Publications, newsletters and other literature|
|Social activities||WISE US for undergraduate students|
|Workplace tours||WISE GSS for graduate students|
|Volunteer leadership||Student Summer Employment Program (SSEP)|
|Science & Engineering Fair Awards|
2018-2022: Vision, Mission, & Strategic Goals
We envision a province where women are routinely supported in their discovery of and success in STEM, and where decision makers at every level of the economy and society value the experience and perspective of technical women.
Within the next five years, WISE NL will increase the participation, retention and advancement of women in STEM, by providing supportive networks, mentorship, career exploration, professional development, and heightened awareness of the contribution technical women make to our members, our stakeholders and the public.
Strategic Goals 2018-2022
- Goal 1: Secure funding and ensure the continued success of WISE NL’s programs and services throughout 2017-2022.
- Goal 2: Enhance WISE NL’s public profile among members, stakeholders and the general public.
- Goal 3: Maintain WISE NL’s diverse programs over the next 5 years including SSEP, AYC, Mentorship, Career Links, Speaker series, Leadership Workshops and Conferences.
- Goal 4: Stay relevant to women in STEM fields by evaluating current and future programs (SSEP, IYI, Mentorship, Career Links, Speaker series, Leadership Workshops and Conferences) and review how they meet the goals and expectations of our mission and vision.
- Goal 5: Develop Board training and a succession plan to ensure that as the organization grows and changes the representatives on the board are aware of their roles, responsibilities and expectations.
- Goal 6: Increase and strengthen WISE NL Membership in order to lead the drive to increase awareness, participation, retention and advancement of women in STEM.