Women in Science and Engineering Newfoundland and Labrador (WISE NL), active in Newfoundland and Labrador since 1988, encourages girls and women throughout the province to consider the broad range of career choices in science and engineering.
WISE NL is a non-profit, incorporated, volunteer organization that aims to increase the participation of women in science, technology, engineering and mathematics careers by increasing awareness that these professions are rewarding and exciting options for women. WISE NL also provides mentoring, professional developing and networking opportunities to facilitate the success of women in these fields, and advocates for equitable workplaces.
- To provide information to young students on careers in science, engineering and related fields, emphasizing the value of mathematics and science.
- To encourage women to seek higher education and achievement in science, engineering and related fields.
- To provide a support network for women in these fields.
- To inform Canadians about opportunities for and contributions by women in these fields.
- To provide a unified, representative voice for our members on issues relating to women in science, engineering and related fields.
Ways of Achieving These Goals
|Speaker Series||Professional conferences and workshops|
|Networking sessions||Youth group conferences and training sessions|
|Mentorship||Publications, newsletters and other literature|
|Social activities||WISE US for undergraduate students|
|Workplace tours||WISE GSS for graduate students|
|Volunteer leadership||Student Summer Employment Program (SSEP)|
|Science fairs awards|