About the Speaker Series
The WISE NL Speaker Series is a regularly scheduled event, open to the public and designed to tell the story of women’s contributions in science and engineering.
The series features notable women who speak on science and engineering related topics and who complete the narrative with personal perspectives ranging from the paths they took, to the experiences they encountered, to the potential impact of their work on community.
The Speaker Series also provides opportunities for both professionals and students to gather and learn about an interesting topic or career, to mingle and socialize, and to network.
- Mar. 26, 2019: Becoming Leaders Speaker Series & Book Launch of the 2019 edition of Becoming Leaders with speaker Carolyn J. Emerson.
- May 29, 2019: Technology and Society, Part 1 – “Technology-based Social Enterprise: A practical approach to leveraging diversity” with Gloria Montano.
- Jun 25, 2019: Technology and Society, Part 2 – “Critical Thinking about Technology, Science, and Engineering” with Dr. Janna Rosales.
- November 20, 2019: “Inside the Tent: The value and importance of technical women being elected/selected to governments, boards, agencies” with panelists Leslie Grattan, Darlene Whalen, and Carmichael Polonio.
- December 4, 2018 – “Tips and Tricks of a Successful Mentor Relationship” with panelists Dr. Fran Kerton, Dr. Erika Merschrod, and Susan Fudge. Held in conjunction with the Holiday Social
- November 21, 2018 – “Women in STEM in Business”. Panel discussion with Moderator Caron Hawco, Caron Hawco Group, and Panelist: Ashley Smith, Owner of Fundamental Inc., Mona El Tahan, Founder of InCORETEC Inc., Charlene Johnson, CEO of Noia, and Paula Sheppard, CEO of NLOWE. Held in conjunction with the AGM and 30th Anniversary Celebration.
- May 23, 2018 – “Impact of women in STEM in the workforce” with panelists Jennifer Williams VP, Production, Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro, and Michelle Simms CEO, Genesis Centre.
- March 8, 2018 – “Women in Entrepreneurship Panel” with panelists Emily Bland from Project Sucseed, Jess Chapman from ethree Consulting, Ashley Smith from fundamental Inc, and Erin Stapleton from Stapleton Environmental Consulting. Organized by WISE GSS.
- November 22, 2017: Niki Pryor, The Human Impact of Technology, Verafin
- October. 17, 2017: “Breaking Bias” with panelists Chenel Waight, Carolyn J. Emerson, Gina Pecore, and facilitator Susan Hollett from Hollett & Sons, Inc.
- June 7, 2017: Communicating an ecological perspective in the oil and gas industry with panelists Lucie N’Guessan, Paola Maria Pedroni, and moderator Ashley Turner, Nalcor Energy.
- April 25, 2017: Women in Science and Engineering at Nalcor, panel discussion
- March 21, 2017: Dr. Penny Morrill, From the greenhouse effect to life detection in the solar system: the importance of methane, Department of Earth Sciences, MUN
- February 20, 2017: “Test tubes, tents, & town halls: Putting biological research into practice for wildlife” with Laura King, Wildlife Preservation Canada
- November 23, 2016: “Crossing Boundaries” with Gloria Montano, WISE NL President 2010-2014.
- October 17, 2016 “The green switch: A talk about green processing of natural resources” with Dr. Kelly Anne Hawboldt, Department of Process Engineering, MUN
- June 14, 2016: “From Grains of Sand to a Map: Looking at the geologic past of the Avalon Peninsula” with Robbie Hicks
- May 26, 2016: “What Does ‘Smart’ Mean? Applying Multiple Intelligences in an Engineering Setting” with Katy Warren
- February 24, 2016: “Building Bridges and Breaking Barriers: Addressing Challenges to Women’s Health at Home and Abroad” with Dr. Jill Allison
- January 25, 2016: “Challenges faced by women in the field of science – a perspective from Ghana” with Esther Amoako
- November 18, 2015: “Our current understanding of young sudden cardiac death in Newfoundland and Labrador: the story of a multidisciplinary team of researchers, clinicians and families” with Dr. Kathy Hodgkinson
- October 29, 2015: “Charting your career outside of academia” with Dr. Maryam Etezad and Dr. Jennifer Campbell
- September 16, 2015: “Mentors vs. Sponsors: A Different Spin from the WinSETT Centre Leadership Program” with Susan Hollet
- May 26, 2015: “Conversation with Dr. Margaret-Ann Armour“
- March 25, 2015: “Rock stories of careers in geoscience” with Dr. Alana Hinchey and Melanie Irvine
March, 5, 2015: “The Road Less Travelled – A Woman’s Perspective on Oil and Gas Research” with Dr. Lesley James
November 19, 2014: “Aquaculture – Balancing Science, Engineering, Business and Socioeconomics” with Dr. Laura Halfyard
- October 28, 2014: “Men on Diversity in the Workforce” with Mark Shrimpton, Andy Fisher and Michael Hanrahan
- September 22, 2014 – “Still Learning!” with Leslie Grattan, President of Leslie Grattan & Associates
- June 6, 2014: “A Day in a Life of a Canadian Astronaut” with Major Jeremy R. Hansen
- May 13, 2014: The value of marine education” with Melanie Knight & Chelsie Archibald
- April 16, 2014: “All about bones: insights from fossils & embryos” with Dr. Tamara Franz-Odendaal
- March 19, 2014: “Can Chemicals be Green?” with Dr. Fran Kerton
- February 27, 2014: “Are you watching closely? Perception of Physics, Physics of Perception” with Dr. Ania Harlick
- January 28, 2014: “Our Boreal Forest” with Dr. Carissa Brown
- October 23, 2013″ 25th Anniversary of WISE NL – Greta Raymond, ICD.D, MPH; Independent consultant in Environment, Health, Safety, and Sustainability
- April 23, 2013: “Bariatric (weight loss) surgery in NL – Weight loss and improvements in type 2 diabetes” Dr. Laurie Twells & Kendra Lester, Department of Clinical Epidemiology, Memorial University of Newfoundland
- March 26, 2013: with Sadie Sellars, P.Eng., FEC, Technical Manager, Hebron Project, ExxonMobil
- February 12, 2013: “A stroll down memory (research) lane” with Dr. Carole Peterson, PhD, F.R.S.C., Professor, Faculty of Science, Memorial University of Newfoundland
- January 16, 2013: “Construction – A place for women!” with Kathrine Haldorsen, Construction Manager, Kiewit-Kvaerner Contractors
- November 14, 2012: “Technology for the North – a New Look at Arctic Science and Engineering” with Dr. F. M. Williams, Consultant, Arctic and Ocean Technologies & Engineering and Science Sector
- October 18, 2012: “What animal behaviour can tell us about human behavior” with Dr. Anne Storey, Professor of Psychology, Faculty of Science, Memorial University of Newfoundland
- March 21, 2012: “Networking with Intent” with Susan Sparke, Owner, Susan Sparkes and Associate
- November 16, 2011: “Unlocking the Secrets of the Past with Physics and Archaeology” with Dr. Kristin Poduska, Associate Professor, Faculty of Science, Memorial University of Newfoundland
- March 9, 2011: “The role of engineers in sustainability and climate change adaptation” with Dr. Lianne Lefsrud, Management and Organization, University of Alberta School of Business
- September 14, 2011: “Tropics to Arctic” with Meg O’Neill, President, ExxonMobil Canada
- November 23, 2010: Hege Rogno, VP Statoil Offshore Upstream, Statoil Canada
- October 19, 2010: “Wild About Mushrooms” with Dr. Faye Murrin, Associate Dean, School of Graduate Studies & Department of Biology, Memorial University of Newfoundland
- Apr. 14, 2010: “From a train car to global health initiatives: An interview with Dr. Elizabeth Hillman” with Dr. Elizabeth Hillman, O.C., M.D., L.L.D., F.R.S.C.
- February 22, 2010: “On the Hunt for a Killer: Pinpointing the heart-breaking gene causing a lethal form of arrhythmia in many NL families” with Dr. Terry-Lynn Young, Associate Professor, Faculty of Medicine (Genetics), Memorial University of Newfoundland