Women in Science and Engineering Newfoundland and Labrador (WISE NL), active in Newfoundland and Labrador since 1988, encourages girls and women throughout the province to consider the broad range of career choices in science and engineering.
WISE NL is a non-profit, incorporated, volunteer organization that aims to increase the participation of women in science, technology, engineering and mathematics careers by increasing awareness that these professions are rewarding and exciting options for women. WISE NL also provides mentoring, professional developing and networking opportunities to facilitate the success of women in these fields, and advocates for equitable workplaces.
WISE NL Goals
- To provide information to young students on careers in science, engineering and related fields, emphasizing the value of mathematics and science.
- To encourage women to seek higher education and achievement in science, engineering and related fields.
- To provide a support network for women in these fields.
- To inform Canadians about opportunities for and contributions by women in these fields.
- To provide a unified, representative voice for our members on issues relating to women in science, engineering and related fields.
Ways of Achieving These Goals
|Monthly meetings||Professional conferences and workshops|
|Networking sessions||Youth group mini training sessions (e.g. Girl Guides)|
|E-mail connections||Publications, newsletters and other literature|
|Career talks||WISE UP for undergraduate students|
|Workplace tours||WISE GSS for graduate students|
|Social activities||WISE Student Summer Employment Program (SSEP)|
|Science fairs awards|
WISE NL is a member of the Canadian Coalition of Women in Engineering, Science, Trades and Technology (CCWESTT). CCWESTT is a not-for-profit, voluntary network of organizations working together to promote women in science, engineering, trades and technology, and celebrating their contributions to these fields.
- 2004 Memorial University of Newfoundland Graduate Students’ Union Award for Outstanding Community Service (WISE-GSS)
- 2000 Hosted a national conference for women in science, engineering, and technology, New Frontiers, New Traditions
- 1995 The F.A. Aldrich Science Public Awareness Award
- 1994 The Michael Smith Award for Science Promotion in Canada
Board of Directors
Become a Member
Benefits of Membership
- Network with other professional women
- Gain valuable knowledge and information
- Develop leadership competencies
- Contribute to your community and profession
- Enjoy and share mutual interests
Membership is open to anyone supporting the mission and goals of WISE NL.
Annual dues for all categories of membership are payable in advance and are due not later than December 31 in each year for the next following calendar year, and shall be processed according to the Policy and Procedures manual. Notice of annual dues is given to membership prior to the Annual General Meeting.
|Student Member/ Unwaged||$10/year|
|Life / Honorary Member||No fee|
Click to Apply or Renew Online or you can download Membership Forms here:
For more information contact the Director of Membership.